Friday, February 23, 2007

Gebrselassie – One eye on World Marathon record, another on Osaka


Addis Ababa, - Even by his own admission, Ethiopian
distance running legend Haile Gebrselassie was a mere pupil of the
Marathon before his two recent victories in Berlin and Fukuoka.

“It is not easy,” he says. “But I am improving. I used to get tired
in the final parts of the race because I use most of my energy in the
beginning.”

But after a successful 2006 where he smashed two World records over
the 20km and the Half Marathon in Arizona and improved his own national
mark over the Marathon in Berlin, the 33-year-old says that his days as
a student of the marathon have come to an end.

“Berlin was a big lesson and a learning process for me,” he says. “I
did 95 percent of the things correctly. I need to get that five percent
right next time.”

2007 focus on London and Osaka



Following a successful 2006, Gebrselassie will begin 2007 in at the
London race where he is once again slated to run against the world’s
top marathon runners. “I will not run any shorter races before then,”
he says. Gebrselassie is also hoping to make it third time lucky after
two winless appearances in London in 2002 and 2006.

“I do not want to speak about my London prospects,” he says. “I just
want good health this year. I hope I can run well if I am healthy.
There will be no excuses this time.”







Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

Faithful Soles said...

I am a big fan of Haile Gebrselassie, and I hope he does well. If you have never seen the documentary "Endurance", which is about his life leading up to the 1996 Olympics, it is an absolute must see (although unfortunately nearly impossible to find a copy since to my knowledge it was only released on video and not DVD).

If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. I also have my own blog, but most of my information is on the main web site. Thanks and continued good luck in your training.